Reading time: 4 – 7 minutes
I know you’ve heard of Dun & Bradstreet and building up your credit by all kinds of BS but I’m not going to talk about scams. Dun & Bradstreet is unnecessary and it’s a scam that dummies pay because some other dummy told them to pay for it. Credit is credit and you having a D&B number is as important as you having a cow brand on your arm WORTHLESS! You WON”T get any more or any less credit having a D&B number. For Business Credit I’m talking about how to get and manage credit cards under your company name. I’ll show you what is needed to build credit the solid, no scams, no games and real way.
- Most likely the bank you set up your business bank account with will want you to sign up for a business credit card. This is the easiest one to get as the bank knows you and your business.
- Look for the best interest rate but don’t get a bank that you never heard of. Interest rates don’t matter a damn if you keep the credit card paid off.
- Don’t get any card that asks you for a annual payment because that’s a scam to take money from you. American Express whole hustle is getting you to pay for a annual fee.
- Don’t pick credit cards because of their rewards as all of them have them and they all offer the same basic coverage. When you do a lot of business this will come in handy but out the box you don’t need any perks.
- Don’t sign up for any services that your credit cards offer as it’s just another way to take money from you.
- Don’t believe they can give you a better deal on flights, cars or even copy paper as that’s a hustle. You call them up yourself and they’ll give you the deal anyway for less. Remember the cards are a business too and they want to take money off the top.
The angle with Credit Cards is to pay them back on time. How does a normal person build credit with you? By making sure he pays you back on time and even earlier will be better. For the Credit Cards they want you to pay them back but they make money by you paying late and then paying extra. The whole way to build credit is SIMPLY pay them off before the money is due. Make sure as soon as you get the bill from them you cut a check right back to them. Once you do this for 6 months you can ask for more credit and the guy on the other end will say WHY NOT! Simple ain’t it!
Building Credit 101
- The more transactions you do and payback on time the more credit they give you. Remember Transaction based business and flipping? They are heavy in this game on this angle.
- When you get your first card only ask for a 1000 credit limit. Tell the person on the other end you only want to get what you can afford to pay back. They will be happy to hear that.
- Every time you get gas for your car pay for it with the company credit card. This is a simple transaction that can be paid back easily by you and shows that you are using the card responsibly.
- Pay for all small business transactions with your credit card like a company phone bill. As you need to have transactions that show up on your card on a routine basis.
- After six months of setting that up and paying it off call back your credit card company and ask for the credit limit to go up to 5K. Say that the company is doing well and you might need it. They will give it to you.
- Don’t add any more transactions to the card just pay for gas and the phone bill with the card.
- In 6 months call back and say you need to go up to 7K
- Keep repeating steps 5 and 6 over and over.
- Ask for 2k increase 6 months later ask for 5k.
Now you have built your credit based off of transactions that are always paid off. You don’t need to get more credit than 10K per credit card you have. Start off with 1 credit card and once you get to 10K open another business card and do the same thing again transfering the gas and phone bill to the new card. In about a 18 months you should have two cards at 10K plus credit limit. You have shown them you pay consistently and you won’t need that much more.
Game Over! And, I didn’t talk about no BS Duns & Bradstreet number or signing up with Staples or some other angle. All the dummies who tell you to do that got a million other dummies doing it the same way so you don’t think the credit card already knows that hustle. Look all these credit card companies are trooped up with investigators keeping an eye on you trying to con them so why not just do it legit. Gas and the phone bills are real needs and expenses of any business so it’s easy to just pay them off with your credit card. You’ll have like 6 transactions or more per month and that’s good for building trustworthiness through repayment and that’s the name of the game.
Extra: Credit is tied into money so make money and you won’t need that much credit. People MISUSE credit by forgetting that’s it’s really money. So if you treat it like money then you will never play or extend yourself to failure.