Bootleg Oldies Hustle
Reading time: 2 – 3 minutes
Yeah this one falls under illegal hustles but when I was in Philly a cat was cleaning up on it. Now all these oldies from Motown and the like are very hard to find for the cats who old enough to really enjoy them. Now I saw this exact Hustle in North Philly and in Harlem where they would take and make a compilation of all these old songs and create special mixes. In Harlem they actually took Malcolm X speeches and sold them on CD with books. Now I called it Bootleg Oldies but really the Hustle is any rare music and speeches hustle.
- Get a pack of CD’s and get to burnin!
- Look on the internet for a list of the top hits from the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s
- Setup a CD on demand service that you will burn a special CD just for them.
- Get yourself a CD carrying case where your customers can see what you got
- Your main customers will be at the barbershop, beauty salons and after church lets out.
- Be clean so the illegal hustle looks respectable instead of looking like you ducking from people
- Get yourself a street booth and push speeches too. (The police don’t usually bother people who burn CD’s instead of selling bootlegs of what’s already out there.)
- Create special CD’s for the holidays with a special mix compilation.
- Do not limit yourself to just R&B and Soul as many of other races wish they can find the Rock music of their youth.
- See if you can pick up some hard to find books and add that to your suite of goods.
Remember there is a whole generation of cats who don’t know how to burn CD’s and would love for someone to get their hard to find music to them. This Hustle is a hustle of last resort but few if any really get a system down. Don’t be afraid to go into different races barbershops and beauty salons to find out what they like. Some cats like certain types of oldies that they can cruise in their lowriders. Also, don’t sweat the Po-Po’s because they don’t usually bother looking at people who burn their own CD’s.